WWW The Thinkery
Sunday, July 22, 2007
(11:23 PM) | Stephen:
Deathly Hallows

Despite using the "super savers" shipping option, Amazon had the latest Harry Potter book on our doorstep yesterday afternoon. I almost didn't want to start reading it, because in that book would be the answers to all my questions. It had a lot to live up to, and I was worried that it just wouldn't be able to.

Well. Some books I've had to slog through. Some books are easy reads. Some books are fun to read but leave nothing behind. And some books - almost everything J.K. Rowling has written - I don't really read. I live them. I finished Deathly Hallows this afternoon, without even having to stay up all night. Just most of it. But I'm months older today than I was yesterday. This book sucked me in. Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire were the ones that really managed to do that before this one. The other books were quite good, but sometimes the stories just really hit you the right way.

I don't know what it is about the Brits, but they seem to be able to create worlds that I desperately wish were real: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Terry Pratchett, J.K. Rowling. Out of all of them Rowling is probably the least writer, but the world she created is delightful, lovely and ultimately full of joy. Pratchett would hate this, but he and Rowling are quite similar in this; no matter how dark their books are able to get, there is an undercurrent, at least, of whimsy and fun on every page.

Part of me hopes that Rowling will let us enter this world again. Most of me hopes that she never writes another word about it.



<< Home
About The Thinkery
Site feed

Recent Entries
Schoolyard Bullies And Babies
Floating Fortress Of Fascism
Painfully Obvious
Disturbing Video Of The Day
Terrorists Here Livin'
What We Eat
American Theocracy
Phill Kline's Obsessions
Filibuster
Bush Is Their Only Constituent

Contributors

Stephen

Blogroll
Ezra Klein
Slacktivist
Eschaton
litbrit
Harp and Sword
Shakesville
Brilliant At Breakfast
In This Moment
Theologoumenon
Adversaria
Faith and Theology
Theology and Biblical Studies
Internet Monk
Boar's Head Tavern
Jesus Creed
Sacra Doctrina
Khora
Maggi Dawn
Shadows of Divine Things
Chrisendom
Leithart
Foolish Sage
Per Caritatem
James K.A. Smith
Theoloblog
The Ethical Werewolf
A Pedestrian View
Brilliant At Breakfast

Archives
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
March 2008
January 2075

Powered by Blogger

My Ecosystem Details>